[Dedicated to Ed Ching, Anjho Ezekiel Reyes and Jason Aquino]
TWO MONTHS remain now in 2017. For individual persons, they are rushing in to live up their own resolutions, plans or goals whatever they have written for the said year.
For television execs, that is a different story. Some backlogged programs were: (1) returned to its original configuration, (2) delayed to another year, (3) substituted with another similar program or (4) may be scrapped.
With the trade launch season coming; let’s look back on four (4) major TV networks and their own current backlogs.
Batang 2Ks will remember Star Circle Quest (2004-11) as an instant ticket to stardom before Pinoy Big Brother wrestled it out. Last March, they pledged to revive SCQ as a segment of It’s Showtime. Despite the setup and the auditions, months even before that announcement, their efforts and dreams were down to drain as they just continue with Tawag ng Tanghalan.
Another aspiring ticket that is on their bucket list is the MNL48 talent reality search. However, the audition process disappointed the fans of 48 girl groups (48GGs); aspirants must require performing within the allowed music material (containing most, if not all, of their network’s current exclusive talents). With that damage done, some of them might reconsider the audition and worse (or better for their standpoint), it might be scrapped, as it is easily forgettable in favor of masa-induced programs.
Pilipinas Got Talent (season 6) is highly unlikely to catch up in the final months of the calendar due to I Can See Your Voice and Little Big Shots but it may carry on in 2018 like the previous season (in 2016 for 2015) since auditions began to kick in (hopefully) and find whoever current show would finally wind down the earliest and call it a season.
Unfortunately, it’ll be a slim to no dice for Team Animazing block to resume, considering their unresolved 5 o’clock crisis and the advancement of viewer demographic and technological trends.
Celebrity Bluff was part of their program goals and did resume on the airwaves last June 3 but it maintained on the regular Saturday night lineup and not on a daily basis as promised because of the masa’s solidified base in Wowowin.
Other than that, Eat Bulaga dabarkad Ryan Agoncillo was to have his own show titled Ryan’s Playlist but instead it was given to the Lolas of Kalyeserye (portrayed by Jose Manalo, Wally Bayola, and Paolo Ballesteros) for The Lola’s Beautiful Show.
Other series that were left behind in Kamuning/Timog include Text Serye and Project Achieved. The former might sent to failure and the latter was not achievable yet the closest substitute they currently broadcast would be GRIND: Get Ready, It’s A New Day.
Lip Sync Battle Philippines would have been on the third season but with exclusive stars defected to the other network due to non-renewal of contract or their displeasure in service, it may not continue to set sail, not even next year.
Brillante Mendoza, the famous indie film director, already aired Brillante Mendoza Presents in the first half of the year. However, its awaited masterpiece, Amo, a series focusing on both sides of the relentless Drug War, has been consistent in promotion but its premiere kept on delaying from August and then to September but not a single episode was aired as of this moment.
Other than him, Bloggers TV and Travel 360 were supposed to be premiered on late July weekend but instead, Manindigan and Turning Point took its places. According to Mitch Isip, a representative from The Bloggers Magazine, they had to reshoot in order to produce the best quality they want to emanate. So far, not a word of promotion was emanated both in the small screens and in the social media.
However, with the deal with ESPN — as ESPN5 — solidified last month, it can easily drown out any of the said programs without recourse.
Lastly, the sole news channel on free TV has some backlogs as well. Media Newser Philippines (MNP) has detailed an article about the upcoming programs this 2017 last December.
So far, all of their nominal programs were aired according to plan — including Political Insider where it was axed after its host, Gilbert Remulla, engaged in an unprofessional Twitter battle — except My Philippines, a local travel program, which has yet to be promoted and to be materialized.
Unnamed programs mentioned in MNP would be a standalone daily entertainment program and a business newscast.
The former could not be developed due to the simple, single reason: their entertainment news policy is more on Hollywood and less on exclusive stars predominantly found on the networks of South Triangle Duopoly (STD). While the latter can be easily figured with three reasons:
- It cannot find their “A” person — a matching challenger — to compete against ANC’s Cathy Yang.
- They have to sacrifice both the morning version and the afternoon (Global) of Newsroom to coincide with the opening and closing bells of the Philippine Stock Exchange.
- Given the unexpected predicaments from political engagements, its patchy political coverages could hamper the flow of the said newscast.
With 2018 looming into the horizon, the four — or three abled — networks should revise their plans to keep its promise before their respective trade launches take place so that its loyal and prospective advertisers have the best worth of their money and earn a goodwill or it will end up merely in what Ed Ching believes to be “false hopes.”
Photo courtesy of:
- Philippine Showbiz Republic (psr.ph)
- Hallo Hallo Entertainment, Inc.